Internal Complaints Committee for Prevention of Sexual Harassment
In pursuance of UGC (Prevention, Prohibition and redressal of sexual harassment of women employees and students in higher educational institutions) Regulations, 2015 read with Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013 and in partial modification by UGC , Internal Complaints Committee (ICC) is re-constituted as under to deal with complaints relating to sexual harassment at work place.
The ICC comprises of the following members:
- Chairperson / Presiding Officer nominated by Authorities of the University
- Two eminent female faculty nominated by the Dean of the Medical College
- Two eminent female faculty nominated by the Dean of the Dental College
- Two eminent female faculty nominated by the Dean of the Engineering College.
- A member from NGO or a person familiar with sexual harassment issues
- A female Psychiatrist nominated by authority
- Three Student nominees (if the matter involves students)
On receipt of a complaint ICC shall conduct preliminary enquiry so as to ascertain the truth of the allegations by collecting the documentary evidence as well as recording statements of any possible witnesses including the complainant. ICC shall then submit the preliminary enquiry report to Vice-Chancellor / Disciplinary authority along with all the original documents adduced during the preliminary enquiry proceedings. In case the allegations are not in the nature of sexual harassment, ICC may refer such complaints to the Grievance Redressal Cell or to the Registrar.
Where sexual harassment occurs as a result of an act or omission by any third party or outsider, ICC shall take all steps necessary and reasonable to assist the affected person in terms of support and preventive action.
ICC shall comply with the procedure prescribed in the aforementioned UGC Regulations 2015 and the Sexual Harassment Act for inquiring into the complaint in a time bound manner.
If ICC concludes that the allegations made were false, malicious or the complaint was made knowing it to be untrue or forged or misleading information has been provided during the inquiry, the complainant shall be liable to be punished as per the relevant provision of the aforementioned UGC Regulations 2015.
Chairperson / Member Secretary, ICC shall receive the complaints of Sexual harassment, if any, on behalf of ICC and shall coordinate the deliberations of the ICC on the complaints received.
Who can approach ICC for help?
Any female employee (faculty, student or staff) of Sri Siddhartha Medical College, Sri Siddhartha Dental College and Sri Siddhartha Institute of Technology.
Definition of Sexual Harassment
"Sexual harassment" includes any unwelcome sexually inclined behaviour, whether directly or indirectly, such as:
- Physical contact and advances
- Demand or request for sexual favours
- Sexually coloured remarks
- Showing any pornography, or
- Any other unwelcome physical, verbal or non-verbal conduct of sexual nature
What are the possible actions that can be taken against the respondent
- Written apology
- Bond of Good behaviour
- Adverse remark in the confidential report
- Stopping of increments / promotion
- Any other relevant actions
If you think you are harassed or being harassed, what should you do?
- Send an email to chairperson (email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org)
- To know more about ICC procedures click (English) here.
- You may also refer to www.shebox.nic.in
Your complaint will be kept CONFIDENTIAL
- The inquiry shall be completed within a period of ninety days from the date of complaint.
- On completion of the inquiry, the ICC shall provide a report of its findings to the employer within period of ten days from the date of completion of the inquiry and such report be made available to the concerned parties.
- If the allegations against the respondent has been proved, it shall recommend punitive actions to be taken against the respondent to the employer.
- The employer shall act upon the recommendation within sixty days of receiving it.